Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week 2 Yoga November


Couldn't resist  a picture of the sky.... beauiful day

Monday: Cutest thing happened! I was in the middle of my sun salutations and while in downward dog I noticed out the corner of my eye, the tiniest, bright green caterpillar! So small, I'm surprised he even caught my eye in the dim lighting. He's a lucky thing because I finished my yoga and took him outside where he belonged. Besides that I'm happy to be drama free this morning. Yoga keeps my feet firmly planted, while everything else seems to whizz by. Namaste.

Tuesday: A very therapeutic day for me. I started the day with Art Therapy. I hadn't had a session with my therapist for over a year and while reflecting my progress I realised I am a completely different person to who I was back then. 1.5 years ago, I was in a different place, my my how far we come and how much better do we get! Well, that's the plan  ;) One day I hope to do a course, just for myself...

I've been doing a lot of back bends, which naturally strengthen your lower back and I can feel some mild discomfort. I was thinking this morning "oh hmmm maybe I should hold back or something, I don't want to get arthritis". My lovely art therapist brought to my attention that since when does yoga do that?!? Crazy fear based thought. I guess I treat many people with lower back issues, likely from not ENOUGH yoga, or exercise for that matter.

Wednesday: It's getting easier to wake up in the mornings. After yoga I made an AMAZING new juice concoction. It's very simple but it works! I took a risk and juiced a big stalk of fresh aloe (the dark green variety), 1/2 a lemon, added a tablespoon of MSM (organic sulphur) powder and a shot of birch juice by Weleda (the Elixir range). It didn't look great but not the worst, I diluted it with water, contemplated adding stevia.... and sipped it slowly. Surprisingly very refreshing! A touch slimy because of the aloe but I'll keep this little ritual up for a while, see if I start turning green. Outdoor personal training session after lunch today.

Thursday: Recovery from the trainer! Mild yoga session, clearly my flexibility has been restricted! Taking it in my stride. I made another aloe juice and this time with mint and ginger added- eeek, it has to be good for me! The reward was a super yum blackberry- vanilla smoothie


Blackberry & Vanilla Smoothie
Smoothie...
Black berries (frozen organic)
Chia seed
Sun Warrior protein powder (I'm convinced is the BEST protein powder on the planet)
Handful of parsley (for extra green goodness)
Maca
Vanilla bean
Pinch of stevia
Water

My thought for the day... the restrictions and closed doors in life are as important as the progressions. Going with the flow is about allowing the stops as well as the starts; this to me Universal Divine Timing.

We think we know better but we really don't. My babushka always tells me of a story when the war ended and she was at a camp in Germany. As soon as the news was heard, thousands of people wanted to return and they did, only to be shot dead by their own for being "traitors" (even though it was the Germans that took them- go figure?!? Say no to crazy politicians). She had wanted to go so badly and had many reasons to, family, a child she left to her sister and she became so sick she was hospitalised and she missed her opportunity. My babushka, a Taurean, who survived war, starvation etc is no shrinking violet but she was ill and was so distraught over being held back. She is also religious and at that moment questioned why God would do that to her. Sometimes we really want something, sometimes we think it's for the best. My thought for the day is go with the flow more and allow life to guide you a little. Make choices, for sure but see which doors open and which ones shut. The easier you flow the less the shut doors will rock your ego.

Friday: Ouchy today, my hip flexors are tight. It seems to me strength training is counter productive to yoga. I feel I'm starting from the beginning again!

Saturday: Again rigid from training and traditionally I'm not supposed to do any yoga for a couple days (wink wink). So no inversions and focussing on restoration and flexibility because I seem to have taken a step backward. Happy it's Saturday : )

Sunday: Tired waking up today. Walked the dogs and started on my yoga except noticed my right hip flexor is quite painful. I wasn't able to do what I'd like to have and will finish the day off with lots of stretches and some meditation. Right now, I'm off to the Vegan Festival ...

No comments:

Post a Comment