Thursday, March 31, 2011

Natural lip balm recipe

I was looking through a dusty old box and an old teen magazine came to my attention. It was something I had read in my highschool days and I was a little amused by it actually. Firstly, that I hoarded it for so long and secondly, that I even read that stuff to begin with. I flicked it open and I remembered exactly why I liked that one so much. There was this little section on DIY beauty with lipbalms, face scrubs etc my sister and I made some of these lipbalms back in the day. Since then I had collecting books on lotions and potions that I could make myself and incorporate essential oils, herbal extracts and healthy, handy ingredients. My sister had gone on to become a cosmetic chemist, fittingly.


Lip balm, on my messy dressing table :p

Why use natural cosmetics? Just have a peek at the video below...




So, I decided to take a break from chocolate and make something different...

Vanilla Lip balm
I've called this a vanilla based balm but really it has a few extras to make it a little more interesting. Rose hip oil, carrot, honey and calendula give it a healing and anti-inflammatory effect on the skin, while a touch of cinnamon and spearmint encourages blood circulation. The vanilla is purely for it's sweet smell.

Ingredients...
10g beeswax
10g cacao butter
5g honey
30ml almond oil
30ml rose hip infused oil (optional)
15ml carrot infused oil (optional)
2ml natural vanilla essential oil, 2ml calendula oil, 2 drops cinnamon essential oil, 4 drops spearmint essential oil


High quality rose hip oil from Siberia

Method...
1. Melt the wax and cacao butter in a metal bowl over a saucepan filled with 1/4 amount of water
2. Still over the heat, add the almond, rose hip and carrot oil and honey until liquid
3. Whisk the mix to ensure it's all melted and smooth
4. Let it cool, add the essential oils
5. Store in small glass containers



They turned out so cute!
 

Love
Ulyana...

2 comments:

  1. My goodness, this is impressive, Sister. That lip balm looks incredible! Now I need to come back so you can teach me?! :) Not sure where I can get beeswax around here..Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you can try straight cacao butter if you like? It'd be a softer balm, lower melting point but likely yummier. Seriously, making your own lip balm is the best! Beeswax online I'd say... xxx

    ReplyDelete