Sunday, November 6, 2011

A box of tomatoes...


I said yes to a box of tomatoes before I knew what to do with them.



So, I gave some away and included them in every meal.

Tomato went into everything- salad, salsa, sandwiches and soup.

On my Sunday afternoon I thought I must make something nice...

I sun-dried a batch (in the dehydrator).

Before...
After...
I experimented by combining roasted apple into a savoury tomato sauce that can be used with anything. I'm sure it's been done before but this is my recipe :))



Savoury Tomato and Roast Apple Sauce
The tangy sweetness compliments the tomato flavour. Roasting the onions, garlic, tomato, and apples intensifies their flavour and begins the infusion process. Can be used as a base for any tomato dish pizza, pasta, dips, and sauces.

Ingredients...
8 very ripe tomatoes, halved
2 apples core removed and halved, pink lady or red delicious (red in colour)
2 medium sized brown onion, halved
1 extra brown or white onion, finely diced
3 cloves of garlic
1 extra clove of garlic finely diced
3 tablespoons of tomato paste concentrate
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1-3 cups of water 
Olive oil
Salt, pepper

Method...
1. Slow roast the tomatoes, onion, garlic, apples and a good sprinkle of salt and drizzle of olive oil (keeping aside the extra onion and garlic for later) in a moderate oven until the tomatoes are nicely brown and collapsed and he apples soft- it may take around 45 minutes. Let cool.
2. Cook the finely diced garlic and onion in a small amount of (3 tablespoons) olive oil until golden.
3. In a food processor pulse the roasted tomato, apple, onion, garlic until at the desired consistency. Quite nice chunky or smooth. 
4. Add the paprika, tomato paste then blended tomato and apple puree, the bay leaves and simmer on low heat. Add as much water as needed.
5. Test the taste and adjust accordingly. A little extra salt to balance the sweetness, extra olive oil, cracked pepper and if needed some lemon juice if needed.

All roasted and ready to go...
I preserved my batch, the colour is slightly more orange than other tomato sauces.

One word... YUM!

Love
Ulyana...

No comments:

Post a Comment