Sunday, June 12, 2011

Shiny hair obsession...

It's no secret that women and men adore beautiful hair. I seem to be borderline obsessed with my own and for a good reason. I never ever had problems, not with condition, length or thickness. My hair used to be blonde and technically should have snapped off but my "hair genetics" and healthy lifestyle seemed to have saved it time and time again. That was until one year, and I say year because once you mess with your hair, it literally takes a year or more to rectify the damage. I won't point the finger at anyone, well heehee not much!

Mermaids have been known to break hearts...
 I was in a very stressful time of my life, at least I considered it to be back then. On reflection I was just being a drama queen. I had changed my colour to a nice chocolate brown hue, everything was going along nicely. My hairdresser would thin my hair, saying I had plenty of it and it'll make my life easier. It was long and pretty. Everything besides my personal life was peachy... That was until she left the salon! *shock* Where did she go??!! I should have known better but the salon owner suggested I try a different hairdresser. "Sure!" The younger, more gullible version of me replied.
Dissatisfied with the close to midnight colour I walked away with, a "friend" hairdresser suggested he do my hair instead...

I wanted my hair back to normal, long, pretty, thick and brown. He said he could make magic happen and I believed him. *Hint* NEVER believe a man that says he can do magic. I would say half of my hair snapped of from the attempt at highlighting. With all the breakage, he needed to blend it in somehow, so a ridiculous amount of layers were put through. This is where my hair resembled something from the 80's. THEN as I ran my hand through my hair, it was as crispy as a corn chip! No amount of product, blow drying, conditioning, or wishful thinking could make magic happen this time...

So I swore off all hairdressers. They were evil creatures, you get a good one and they desert you. You get a truly evil one and they destroy your hair and charge you while you pretend to like it, so not to hurt their feelings. *Vent over.* I know I don't mean that. I have actually found a really precious hairdresser, who only snips a centimetre off at a time. The next time I visit her, I'll let her take two. She also uses low chemical colours and products and can style hair like a dream.

The point to my long-winded story is that I've destroyed my hair but it came back. Admittedly, it took me a good two years full recovery. Hair is really slow moving, it takes months and months and months to see the results and you have to be consistent in treating it with caution. Minimal heat, no chemical based products and no colour fun. An effective distraction technique is to smile more, who needs fabulous hair when you smile like a princess???!

SOS products I have used...
Feminine Mysteries Tahitian Coconut and Vanilla Shampoo & Conditioner is heaven
Morroco Method The actual shampoos and conditioners are not so heavenly to use but the Diamond Crystal Mist is divine
David Babaii 4 Wildaid Beautiful products all round and love, love, love the Bohemian Beach Spray
Seven Wonders Hair Care Detangling Moisture Spray, is my pick. They also have an Argan (Moroccan Oil) range... 



Apple Cider Vinegar & Herbal Hair Rinse
To improve condition, shine, body and boost hair growth...

This is a recipe my babushka taught me. I've always noticed how long many Russian women wear their hair. My babushka was no exception. While the other grandmas had purple perms mine was rocking silky tresses right down to her waist. She traveled across oceans from Russia to Australia and was certainly an exotic creature back in the day.
She wore her hair all braided and slicked back. I can see now why she was a heart breaker in her time (mermaids have been known to do that). She gave me this hair rinse recipe. The basic mixture is just vinegar and chamomile but I've added the rosemary extract with time. The vinegar softens the water, adjusts the pH and gives you a super glossy finish (no it doesn't smell). The chamomile adds highlights with time and somehow strengthens the hair (my babushka says), the rosemary is my little touch and stimulates the blood flow to the scalp, resulting in happier hair with more bounce.

Ingredients...
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar (only ACV, no other vinegar will do)
1 cup chamomile tea
1/4 cup rosemary extract
1.5 litres filtered or spring water

Method...
1. Sprig of fresh rosemary to 2 cups water, bring to boil and reduce and leave for 10 minutes. Let cool.
2. Add ACV, chamomile tea, rosemary infusion to the water.
3. Shampoo and condition your hair with the best quality natural based products you can afford.
4. Rinse your hair well with water and put the herbal water through and let t sit for around 5 minutes for a perfect result.
5. Then if weather permits, rinse your hair with COLD water as a final then style.
6. Your hair will look gorgeous, tread carefully with the hearts you're about to break.

Do this once or twice a week for the best results.

Not only do you have to use the correct product but you have to eat the right foods and supplements speed up the process.


Chia seed- high in omega 3 fatty acids, high in protein, easy to use. Just add to muesli, desserts and smoothies.

Seaweed- high in minerals, nori, kelp, wakame, kombu, spirulina all fall under this Umbrella. A green superfood powder should do the trick ideally with sprouted baby grasses. The easiest and tastiest way to get your greens in.

Wholegrains- People are at odds with the wholegrain category but I swear by them. Brown rice, oats, quinoa, and buckwheat are my favourites. High in silica, fibre and minerals.

Almonds, Brazil, Sunflower and Pumpkin seeds- for the essential fatty acids, proteins and magnesium. Magnesium will help soothe the nervous system after you breakup with the evil hairdresser...

Greens- all the baby greens, sprouts, kale, broccoli and herbs. Highly mineralised and alkalising to the system.

Green, white, rosehip, nettle tea- high in antioxidants, good for detoxifying.

Celtic Sea Salt- Just a pinch, for the minerals. Table salt is a junk food.

Exercise and sunlight- essentials for life, oxygen and blood circulation. The body is built to move...

Avoid- excess alcohol, coffee, dairy, processed, denatured "fake" foods, chemicals and unnecessary pharmaceuticals (please confirm with your doctor) and peroxide...

Supplements that may help...

B Complex- for hair growth and condition
Zinc- growth
Green powder (with seaweed and sprouted greens)- detoxification, alkalising
Spirulina- condition, hair growth, quality
Silica- condition
MSM powder (organic suphur)- hair growth, quality

Brushes
Brush your hair everyday and using a soft bristle brush. Never brush your hair when it's wet.


Love
Ulyana xx

8 comments:

  1. Another excellent post.. As always it was enjoyable to read and informative as well. And all that about your hair being like corn chips..kinda made me hungry! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm... since you ignoring me on MSN most of the time here is the other on :-P

    was your hair normally and thn 'wash it' with dark beer (ale or something) let it sit for 5-10 min thn just rinse... I know it sounds kind of gay - coming from male but it does work and its all natural

    (some1 recommend to leave beer open for an hour or so, so you get some alcohol out but I dont think its gone make much difference)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I'm not silly :p yes I've heard of the beer hair rinse, good for extra oomph! Might do it soon as something different, except my hair is already quite full

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative! I will definitely try it. I'm Russian Orthodox but I have to say that I haven't noticed the way women in church wear their hair (usually it's covered).

    I just discovered your blog and I can't stop reading through it; it's excellent!

    Jen in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  5. How come you shouldn't brush your hair when it's still wet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the hair is wet the cuticle softens and becomes more fragile. Brushing it will only stretch the shaft making it more prone to breakage. Water on its own is a mild conditioner because it's hydrating so anytime you give it a rinse, you're looking after your hair.

      Delete
  6. This is my obsession about my hair. I like it when shiny and healthy always.

    ReplyDelete