Friday, June 10, 2011

Dear Diary... Dream is a nice word

Dream is a nice word don't you think? I always wonder where mine are at, if I'm "watering" them enough so to speak. Are we giving enough attention to our dreams or do we even know what they are??


Like many of my insights this one came to me during a consultation. We were talking about love... lost love to be exact. I think we've all been there and I think we can all relate. We've been both the lover and the heart breaker, we've been both wronged and in the wrong. I could think of at least 10 people I don't want knowing my thoughts on this topic but I can think of at least 10 who'd like my thoughts too. I sacrifice this post to be more of a "dear diary" entry.


Most of the people I see and talk to want love. "Love makes the world go round" and "love is all there is" love, love, love. Tears and butterflies, highs and lows I see it and feel it all. I wont recall my dating history here, I simply don't enough enough energy and it's pointless. But it's the thing everyone wants and I believe many of us are really here just to find it. Our life purpose might not be to discover a new form of sustainable and environmentally friendly energy source (although feel free) but to find that one person. Call it a soul mate or twin flame or something less mystical. Maybe deep down some people are here just to find simple love.


Imagine if in primary school the curriculum would include... love and all of the above. Relationship life skills that some "parents" are simply not capable of teaching their kids because quite honestly they've not been taught it either. Why when so many of us are completely capable of functioning in all facets of our lives except for maintaining healthy relationships. Why are we taught our times tables until we can recite them by heart but we're not taught to communicate with people effectively and truthfully. Some might say that's a parental role and I agree- it is. However, when your parents are busy counting numbers, paying bills and getting dinner on the table... we could do with a little more help.



Which brings me to my dream, it's just a dream but I'm putting it out there. Imagine if the structure of our society focused more on supporting us finding and keeping that other half and creating families and less on consuming, owning, investing and the rest. The more I look at how we do things the more distant I see we have become. We travel more, see more, learn and experience the world at an accelerated pace yet we're no closer to finding the person that makes our hearts tick. Paradoxically, we have more and have less. The people that do have, we consider to be the "lucky" ones.

If we focused more about finding love and valuing it then maybe we would be happier. Cultures that have less material security have been known to be happier and we often question why. My guess is they're not contemplating owning 5 houses rather contemplating how the welfare of their family. Focus on the stuff that matters because at the end of the day, on our death bed we reflect on how we lived, how we loved, if we loved at all and if we ever lived.

The other thing, don't be afraid to want love. It takes so much energy wearing various masks only to disguise our feelings. It takes more courage to be truthful with ourselves and another and walk away a little different, maybe deflated but certainly a more authentic version of yourself. The heart never fools anyone, it knows exactly what and who it wants. It's the mind that plays tricks.


And one more, never walk away from it.

Ulyana xx

No comments:

Post a Comment