Monday, October 25, 2010

What's in my shopping basket?

I'm a fan of organics and most of my weekly shopping is at the organic markets/ shops around Adelaide. My favourite for groceries is The Stirling Organic Market and Cafe, the produce is awesome and I enjoy the drive. The green section is what keeps me going back... plus the hippy, little cafe section serves great food. The menu never changes and it's always busy.








My shopping list updates itself regularly, depending on season, new information and availability but this is what it's looking like this week...

Jasmine and green Qi tea
Biodynamic eggs (very happy chickens)
Paris Creek raw milk (very happy cows)
Raw honey by the Honey Lady in Willunga (Yum!)
Loving Earth chocolate
Fresh greens, pink lady apples, bananas, cabbage, chillies, sweet potato, cucmber, capscium, almonds, durian, coconut, buckwheat and muesli

This is a good range of foods to make salad, soups, breakfasts, smoothies, desserts and snacks... easy!






Sometimes I go to the Vietnamese grocer in the Adelaide Central Markets. Loads of conventional greens, teas, condiments and weird food products I wouldn't know what to do with! My visit here is because I'm searching for durian, my Babushka has lost her sense of smell, so this fruit works for her. Also, the young Thai coconuts I plan on experimenting with to make kefir (may do a post on this experiement later).



My last stop is to pick up things I can't get from the markets ie hair ties, tissues etc at the local supermarket. It's interesting to note in recent years just how many Woolies brand products are on the shelves. Less choice means less competition and more control over price. I always avoid the plain labels as much as I can. Not only that but let's compare the quality of food they offer...



Wheat flour (bleached), iodised salt, soya flour (possibly genetically modifed, it doesn't say so otherwise), added vitamins and preservatives... yum???

I like how the packaging is so convincing, this product also has additives...

Oh this one peeves me! So fresh looking but lacking in quality. You can't compare this tea ...


to this tea...


I understand we all have bills to pay but put it in perspective. Value what you put into your body as much as what you wear, the cosmetics you use, the investments you own and the people you spend most of your time with. What you do now matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment